The Catana shipyard, created in 1984, is based in France at Canet en Roussillon.
The company is the world specialist in fast cruising catamarans with an unwavering commitment to continuous innovation and research. Catana produces a range of customized catamarans ranging from 42-90 feet, designed for world cruising.
Catana is one of the only shipyards in the world to build boats utilizing the highly advanced Carbon Infusion and Twaron processes. Major components including the hulls, bulkheads, deck and furniture constructed in foam cored sandwich, make Catana Catamarans fast and unsinkable.
Catana is able to offer a premium standard of comfort with the finest in modern fittings while preserving unequalled performance due to innovative designs that optimize weight and hull drawing.
Catanas are the only catamarans successfully bringing together the three hallmarks of the brand: Performance, Safety and Superior Comfort.
- 1984: At the forefront of the industry the Catana shipyard is founded in Cogolin in the Var region of France. The first cruising catamarans built here are well ahead of their time.
- 1986 : 80th parallel – The naval architect Christophe Barreau is the first person to cross the 80th parallel north on board the “Diabolo”, a Catana 40.
- 1990-1996: Success despite the crisis -Thanks to its catamarans’ excellent reputation, Catana’s success continues despite the major crisis in the world of sailing.
- 1997: Catana opens a shipyard in Canet-en-Roussillon, France and launches its famous 471 -A real revolution in the sailing world, the new Catana range is built in a new state-of-the-art shipyard. Twaron aramid fibre is now used instead of fibreglass.
- 1998: A high-tech company -Bruno Nicoletti achieves a great feat on board the “Brumas Patagonia”, a Catana 44: a voyage around the world via the three capes, the famous “impossible route” of Vito Dumas.
- 1999: Recognition in the United States -Launch of the Catana 401.Catana 471 voted “Boat of the Year” in the United States.
- 2000: Commercial success -Launch of the Catana 472 and 581: these both have more equipment and luxury features than any other boat, with no loss of performance.
- 2001: Industrial development -Launch of the Catana 582, the largest and most luxurious Catana ever built.Catana 401 voted into the top 10 of “Sail” magazine in the United States.
- 2002: Another successful launch -The new Catana 52 is added to the range.
- 2003: Poncin Yachts buy Catana -Olivier Poncin, President of Poncin Yachts, buys Catana and develops the shipyard.
- 2004: First Catana Rally – To celebrate its 20th anniversary, the shipyard invites its clients to its first Catana Rally in Porquerolles, France.
- 2005: First motorised catamaran – Catana presents its first motorised catamaran, the Power 45.
- 2006: The Catana 50, a new generation of catamarans – Creation of a Custom department focusing solely on the construction of giant catamarans of more than 25 metres (82 to 92 feet) in length. All these models are designed based on plans by the naval architect Christophe Barreau and Frédéric Neuman.
- 2007: Giant catamarans -The Catana 50 is a great success and nominated for the “European Yacht of the Year 2007/08″ award. The Catana 87 is a new venture for the Catana shipyard: creating customised giant catamarans.
- 2008: Legitimacy -The leading US sailing publication, “Cruising World” votes the Catana 50 the best cruising multihull of 2008. This recognition on the US market firmly establishes the name and the legitimacy of the Catana brand.
- 2009: Infusion -The Catana shipyard starts to use infusion to construct its catamarans, a great asset and one that considerably optimises boat weight.
- 2010: New version of the Catana 50 -The Catana 41 gains a foot in length and a new interior layout. It is now known as the Catana 42. The new Catana 50 loses 3 tonnes and achieves even better performance.
- 2011: The revolutionary Catana 59 – After more than a year of research, the new Catana 59 combines many of the latest innovations from the racing world. A catamaran that offers outstanding performance and unrivalled comfort.
- 2012: The Catana 70 – Although it has the same design and features the same innovations as the Catana 59, the Catana 70 promises to be an incredible high-performance boat.