Licences & Training


As a recreational boat owner, you are required by law to hold a boat licence & observe basic maritime rules in most states of Australia & New Zealand.

For example, in Queensland, a Recreational Marine Drivers Course takes around 6 hours to complete with a recognized training organization.

In some Australian states, you are also required (by law) to hold a short-range or long-range radio operators’ certificate.

  • The Short Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency (SROCP) is required for vessels with VHF radio only.
  • The Long Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP) is required for vessels operating both VHF and HF radio.

Visit the following links to the various government websites to understand the laws governing boat licencing and radio operation in your state.


New South Wales

Australian Capital Territory


South Australia

Western Australia

Northern Territory


New Zealand




If you are planning to spend significant time at sea, consider completing a Coxswains Course or Certificate in Maritime Operations.

These commercial courses are specially tailored for recreational purposes and provide an overview of:

  • The Australian Boating Manual & seamanship
  • Shipboard health & safety skills: Fire training, safety at sea and man-overboard procedures
  • Vessel handling
  • Docking and anchoring
  • Basic engineering workshop & marine engine servicing
  • Hull maintenance
  • Operating deck machinery
  • Safe environmental practices
  • Towing
  • Coastal navigation
  • Collision regulations & the application of general regulations




Below are some suggested training organizations to get you started.



Contact us
Multihull Solutions

Contact us

- or -

Click here for our office locations and phone details

Subscribe to our eNewsletter

Sign up to our e-newsletter which is packed with information on the latest catamarans and trimarans, best buys on boats for sale, catamaran reviews, articles and promotions.

  • * Required
  • * Required